Sunday, June 10, 2007

6/10/2007 Poem

6/10/2007 Poem



I wrote this poem when I was 16. I used to take a vacation with my family every year for two weeks. I had one friend I used to hang out with in the area, and he pretty much deserted me. People felt sorry for me, but I had the best vacation ever on my own.

This is one of the poems I had time to write. I have always felt a kinship with Emily Dickinson, for obvious reasons. This has the fumbling quality of a 16 year old, but I like it.



I looked a Soldier in the eye-
and saw no trace of humanity.
I saw the little boy who cried,
and the man untouched by agony.

His essence came in waves on pain
and wounds that can forever stain
or close, but then run ever deep;
I pray for my own soul to keep.

I kind of cringe at that last line, but overall, a nice try by a young boy.

No comments: